[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 02:09:06 UTC 2001

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
.

> Lex is working on strengthening Celeste's filtering capabilities, so you
> could add a category filter to get just you MySQL digests, then a search
> filter for what fragments you remember of the url, then add a date
> filter according to when you think it was, then scan. So you can narrow
> your search more or less any way you want to, in any order. I don't know
> if that's what you're thinking about...

I was thinking more of a traditional SQL type query, but thinking more
about, the way you desribe above would probably be both easier to do and
more user freindly. Yep, that'd do it for me!

> [Lots of messages -> lots of memory]
> >
> > I'll buy some more! It's actually pretty slow in Netscape, too.
> Well, more memory is always nice, but this would probably not be
> critical. I used a 64MB machine to read my 130 mail. And a smaller index
> is certainly doable if people find that's a problem.

I'm thinking that if I buy a 128Mb module I can "dedicate" (this is a
Linux box) 120Mb to Squeak and still have a (very) marginal improvement
in anything els running at the same time. In my dinkering with Celeste
I'm pretty sure that it's faster at getting my mail than Netscape, but
this may be an illusion ;-)

> > > About the conversion -
> > > Nope, we don't have a Communicator format mail reader/importer. However,
> > > it's pretty easy to write them - that's how I converted from MH, for
> > > example - I wrote the class MHMainInboxFile (all two methods of it).
> > > Your milage might vary - but a Communicator filter would probably be
> > > useful to other people too.
> >
> > I'll take a look and see if I can make sense out of it. With my coding
> > skills, I may be gone for some time.....

> Cool, have fun. Feel free to mail me offline with any questions.

Thanks!

Cheers

John

--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep