Lots of concurrency

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Fri Nov 2 02:41:59 UTC 2001

At 21:39 27.10.2001 -0400, David Chase wrote:
>At 10:01 AM 10/25/2001 -0700, Ken Kahn wrote:
> >Thinking sequentially about problems that are inherently concurrent is
> >suboptimal.
>
>I disagree.  My favorite examples, not necessarily relevant
>to Squeak, are: [...]
>2) finite element models (game of life, cellular automata).
>
>The problem is *described* from the point-of-view of a single
>cell, and the parallelism is then added.  The differential
>equation itself describes the behavior *of a point*.

Co-in-ci-dence (I can't believe I'm joining this thread).  I have a couple
of changesets looming here which describe and implement Conway's Game of
Life in terms of StarSqueak (with its inherent if simulated
parallelism).  Recently (finally) having read Resnick's book, I set out to
implement Life with cells that actually have state, such as age.  It's one
of the slowest Lifes that I've come across (max. 7 gen/s here), but also
one of the most interesting ones, because of cell identity.  Ever watched a
Glider Gun with the cells actually aging in technicolor?

I'll see if I can get it posted over the weekend,
Helge