[Bug][VM][OSProcessPlugin]Does not run on Solaris

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Nov 2 03:02:34 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 02:02:23PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> 	Sorry for the inconvenience. If you happen to know the Solaris equivalent
> 	of setenv(3), please let me know so I can fix it correctly.
>
> I've never heard of setenv(3).
> Does it do the same as the fairly common UNIX putenv(3C)?
> (putenv() is certainly available under Solaris and OSF/1; I don't know
> what else has it.  Solaris 2.8 and OSF/1 don't have any unsetenv(),
> although OSF/1 has a clearenv() that zaps the environment variable table
> completely, Solaris doesn't.)

Oops, I meant "Solaris equivalent of unsetenv(3)", which apparently
does not exist. I believe that setenv(3) is the BSD equivalent of
putenv(3), which is SVID/POSIX according to my Linux man pages.
UnixOSProcessPlugin>>primitivePutEnv uses putenv(3), which seems to
be portable across BSD/POSIX/whatever. Evidently, unsetenv is a
BSD thing which may not exist on all systems, so I think the best
thing is to just take it out of the plugin to keep things simple.

Dave