A Review of SqueakNews

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at UCSD.EDU
Fri Nov 2 17:42:37 UTC 2001

Maarten -

Thank you for this pointer, and for writing this review.  I have already
downloaded it, and I have already submitted my subscription to SqueakNews;
your strong recommendation has nudged me over threshold on this, and I
eagerly await the arrival of my CDs.

However, I would respectfully disagree with you on the issue of whether
folks should post comments on your review to the list.  I believe a good
number of us who read (as many of) the submissions to the squeak-dev list
(as they can) are interested in how one learns Squeak, how one talks and
thinks about Squeak, and so forth.  Moreover, I believe that information
about all these matters is highly relevant to the work of "the developers",
which ideally we all are, even if we don't start out thinking we will be.
So I would suggest -- in fact I would *request* -- that those who have
comments or reactions to your review post them to this list so that all
have the choice of reading them if we wish.

Certainly this list supports an incredible amount of traffic.  But that is
as much a reason in favor of as against my suggestion/request.  Everyone
who reads this list of necessity needs to develop intelligent and selective
methods for dealing with the high volume of information.  So, for example,
when I see I message header that reads something like "Re: External Libs
(was Re: libcurl?!)", I either bypass it or delete it altogether, and
anyone who thinks development concerns should be fragmented from squeaknews
and the ideas you raise (or just doesn't care about squeaknews for whatever
reason) can behave similarly in response to the message header "Re: A
Review of SqueakNews".

Anyway, thanks again for this and for your other very interesting
contributions to this list, and you may be hearing from me under a message
header near you.

Best,
Jerry Balzano

At 7:47 AM -0800 11/2/01, Maarten Maartensz wrote:
>Helllo Squeak-community!
>
>It may interest you that I wrote - on invitation by Tansel Ersavas - a
>review of SqueakNews of August 2001 (which I really like), in which I am
>trying to raise some fundamental questions, especially about how to talk
>about and present Squeak (and Smalltalk).
>
>Here is a link:
>
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/log_comp/review_squeaknews_aug2001.htm
>
>It is 84 Kb, but it is fairly decently written, I believe. And I have been
>asked by some I review to draw your attention to it, and that's one of
>those things one just can't refuse to do.
>
>I also suggest we do NOT extensively discuss it inside this list, which
>seems to me to targetted at the noble end of developing Squeak. (And I am
>on the digest only, having no real code to contribute, yet. But I will
>reply off-list to all rational mail send to me personally.)
>
>Regards,
>
>Maarten.

>Maarten Maartensz.
>Website in Amsterdam about philosophy, logic,
>M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) and much more:
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~maartens/
>more than 25 MB of stimulating and original ideas.

Dr. Gerald J. Balzano
Teacher Education Program
Dept of Music
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
Cognitive Science Program
UC San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093
(619) 822-0092