A Review of SqueakNews

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Nov 2 20:12:50 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Phil Weichert wrote:

> Maarten,
>    Yes, SquakNews appears to be great.  However, at $99 us a year the price is
> steep.  The email version is just a review.  Maybe if the price was $19.95 a
> year they would get more subscribers.

Oh bah. Sure, maybe there would be more subscribers, but there'd be
nothing to subscribe to (unless there were many many *many* times the
number of subscribers...even then).

There are oodles of "regular" magazines that cost more than $19.95 a year,
and they tend to *also* be advertiser based.

If it costs to much for you, that's fair enough. But just *say* that.

Besides, there's a *really* "easy" way to get a year's subscription
*free*...write an article.

You don't have to be a Squeakexpert to do so. Beginner articles are, I
believe, quite welcome and certainly valuable.

Furthermore, all the articles belong to the authors (i.e., SqueakNews only
takes non-exclusive rights). So we're all free to publish them elsewhere,
on our websites, whatever.

Plus, as Tansel pointed out, some of the content will be on the
"free" part of the site. My stuff probably will be. Though I don't know
anymore.

Well, this is discouraging. Tansel was way nicer than I feel like being :)

Note that at least part of the point is to have something that is
*definitely* ongoing. That you *know* will be there. I yield to no one for
love of Swikis, but keeping a swiki up takes work, and as people noticed,
they can be subject to bitrot.

Goodness knows, if I were doing the mailing list summaries just for the
heck of it, they certainly wouldn't have gotten done this month :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.