Three Threads Of Squeak

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Sat Nov 3 15:38:48 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Walsh [mailto:jwalsh at bigpond.net.au]
Sent: zaterdag 3 november 2001 10:35
To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Subject: Re: Three Threads Of Squeak

Hi Ger

Now that Jim Benson has given up stalking me I can get back to re-reading
your emails again.
Owing to the fact that each time I scan them I see a different nuance. Your
language does require a bit of study to get your exact meaning. Please don't
feel  you have to change anything it is up to me to adjust my tuning that is
all.

I read the url about levels and concluded, that like CRC, it is missing the
point. It is returning from the "wilds" of Networking, Peer to Peer, to the
traditional (disliked ) MIS (hierarchical) Structure-Function Model.
[ger: What I mean by leveling is that you, as designer are handling
qeustions of different quality on each level, but that the consequences of
change are not only going from top to bottom: during the construction of the
details of a taskset, You gain new insight that could change your design
decisions on higher levels completely: how to handle that in a tool in a
flexible way, that is the only thing i mean with yo-yo]

This may not be what you mean by Yo Yo but, this trend looks like it to me:
Yo Yo-ing between both methods.
Charles used to pride himself of the fact that he combined both the
methodologies in his HierNet (a hierarchy riding on to of a network).
I refused to accept that interpretation: It contradicted Kants understanding
of the "Separation of Powers" and which is even anchored in European Social
law.
It is only recently that Charles has come to agree with me. He is maturing.
He now regard his Purpose Statement or Goals to be more significant than he
had first thought.
[ger: setting a goal on the highest level does not always mean that you want
to reach that goal when your knowledge grows... You evaluate your original
goal against the new information and set again your goal... if you are lucky
it ends up as stepwise refinement, but if your goal is to far out of scope,
you have somehow to start over...
How difficult that is when you are already begun: here comes the famous de
Bono puzzle in.. How can a tool inspire someone to look at the growing
problemspace from another point of view and find a better way..]

The HierNet is much more than just the manifold of three levels:
1.) Concept,  2.)Logistics, 3.)Physical; (the manifest CONDITION of their
tripartheit struggle).
It is 0.) Unity (of all of these three Concepts into one absolute whole).
This Unity is Absolute, Totality, CONDITION-less.

Ger ! I cannot stress enough the importance of the concept of the Absolute
for it is Reasons only task: to bring this Systematic Unity to our awareness
and appreciate the Idea of Freedom itself. The children of this powerfull
Absolute Idea are CAUSE and EFFECT.
[ger: Papert and others like children to invent the wheel again, coming to
the Thrue on their own. Opponents tell a joke about a child that does setup
a test to prove that a fly hears with his elbows: "I say to a fly jump and
he jumps, then I take away his legs and when he say jump he no longer jumps,
becuase he cannot hear me anymore.." I preferr the scaffolding approach of
the original Montessori: How can we arange a learning situation and
construct materials in such a way, that it elicits wondering in the student,
who starts activities that lead to new knowledge.  ]
Do you see what I mean?  Why Kant is such a great thinker and not a mere
philosopher.
We are now able to build your dream Ger.
Today. because we finally understand it.
Ciao
Justin