[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 3 19:02:50 UTC 2001

> Back on topic: I think I won't switch to Celeste before the file format is
> not compatible with the standard unix stuff. Maybe there should be various
> backends? One for the monolithic message file, one for your "each message
> a separate file", one for "each message folder a file, nested folders are
> directories (my pref)" - and then, IMAP support would be cool, too :)

Directly accessing files that are in foreign formats is pretty awkward.
It's a big design constraint, and it would put pressure on things like
having a full index available for searching.

Directly accessing Unix mail files in particular is hard, because Squeak
can't do Unix locking.  This is a specific reason that POP is the main
way Celeste gets email: POP works to and  from any platform.  Could you
instead set up your Unix files to be accessible via POP (or later, IMAP)?

Anyway, I like the idea of having multiple *sources*.  And IMAP should
be one of them.  Doing IMAP right would require an improved index file
format, to avoid downloading the same message multiple times.

-Lex