[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Nov 4 00:18:40 UTC 2001

The unix mail design is pretty nice. Here's a sketch (IIUC) - mail is
delivered to port 25. This might happen in different ways - if the
machine is a well known server, this is done by SMTP clients like
Celeste, or sendmail which is an STMP forwarding program. If the machine
is a workstation (without a fixed IP), you use fetchmail - you configure
it to obtain all your mail from various sources (POP, IMAP, so forth)
and again, deliver it to the local port 25.

So getting the mail to be local is separated from how it is handled
inside the machine (for example, by procmail calling various Mail User
Agents and telling them they have new mail).

Of course, there are lots of other ways to do things. On the down side,
I guess in this case the IMAP server is treated like just POP - you're
not using it as it was meant to be used.

Daniel