etoy space invader tutorial (alpha)

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 02:39:05 UTC 2001

Alan Kay wrote:

> John and Karl --
>
> The blurry images are ones that have not yet been downloaded
> automatically from the server. I am currently using a phone line and
> they seem to take a very long time -- I'm not sure why.

Yes: I'd just shift-clicked it to download from the URL given by Karl:
if I use Squeak to go to BSS then almost all the screenshits become
clear (I'll go back and see if I can get the last one): damn connection
timed out before it had come through.

> What is the advantage of putting a Geemail in a window? -- it already
> has scrollbars. (You may not think so because they are very much
> delayed in appearing because of the slow picture download, but a
> mouseover the Geemail will eventually make them appear.)

To me the big advantage is being able to do roll-ups from a single icon
which is already there. Just click on the little circle. Ideally, I'd
use two instances of Squeak in two virtual screens, one for Karl's
tutorial and one for my workings, but this *wonderful* facility is only
available to *nix folks. (I gather virtual screens never made it to OS
X.)

Stephen Pair wrote:

>I'd recommend re-doing the morphs in the
>tutorial such that they fit the drawings with no background.  I've
>attached an image of what I'm talking about in case this description is
>not clear.

I like this idea, too: that way someone can actually use your drawings
rather than do their own. But I'll re-do them as gifs with a transparent
background as I go along. I suspect you're in bed now, Karl, but I'll
save them on disk for you.

Cheers

John

--
If you don't care about your data, like file systems which automagically
destroy themselves and have money to burn on 3rd party tools to keep