[celeste] moving from Communicator to Celeste....

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Nov 4 02:51:35 UTC 2001

"Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> A long time ago (in Squeak time) I hacked something up that just downloaded
> message IDs, compared them to the messages Celeste already had, and only
> downloaded ones it hadn't seen.  I updated it a couple of times, but can't
> seem to find the code.  The most recent version I can find is on Bert's
> swiki:
> http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/90.html
>
> The changeset was for Squeak 2.4, so I imagine it will break stuff
> (especially with all the work that has been going into Celeste lately).
> However, it shouldn't be too hard to bring up to date, if anyone's game.

How does it scale, though?  Reading in all message-id's in the database
will probably take a little while....  Let's see:

[ mailDB allMessages do: [ :id |
	(mailDB getMessage: id) fieldNamed: 'message-id'  ifAbsent: []] ]
timeToRun

  ==> 222285

So about 3.7 minutes for 20k messages.  Maybe it's worth putting in
there even as it is, just so that people can play with it, but it would
sure be nice if the info was stored in the index file for speed!

-Lex