etoy space invader tutorial (alpha)

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sun Nov 4 07:58:45 UTC 2001

John Hinsley wrote:

> Alan Kay wrote:
> >
> > John and Karl --
> >
> > The blurry images are ones that have not yet been downloaded
> > automatically from the server. I am currently using a phone line and
> > they seem to take a very long time -- I'm not sure why.
>
> Yes: I'd just shift-clicked it to download from the URL given by Karl:
> if I use Squeak to go to BSS then almost all the screenshits become
> clear (I'll go back and see if I can get the last one): damn connection
> timed out before it had come through.
Ok, so the images were not dowloaded. I did never try to actually
download it
so I never saw the problem. Some kind of progress info widget for the
images not yet downloaded could help. Anyone ?

> > What is the advantage of putting a Geemail in a window? -- it already
> > has scrollbars. (You may not think so because they are very much
> > delayed in appearing because of the slow picture download, but a
> > mouseover the Geemail will eventually make them appear.)
>
> To me the big advantage is being able to do roll-ups from a single icon
> which is already there. Just click on the little circle. Ideally, I'd
> use two instances of Squeak in two virtual screens, one for Karl's
> tutorial and one for my workings, but this *wonderful* facility is only
> available to *nix folks. (I gather virtual screens never made it to OS
> X.)
I made the GeeMail narrow so it would be possible to do the scripting
on the right side of the screen while reading the tutorial.
I actually did the game while writing so I could get the screenshots
and the progress of the development right. This worked quite nice
with a 1024 at 768 resolution.
> Stephen Pair wrote:
>
> >I'd recommend re-doing the morphs in the
> >tutorial such that they fit the drawings with no background.  I've
> >attached an image of what I'm talking about in case this description is
> >not clear.
>
> I like this idea, too: that way someone can actually use your drawings
> rather than do their own. But I'll re-do them as gifs with a transparent
> background as I go along. I suspect you're in bed now, Karl, but I'll
> save them on disk for you.

You can just pull out a copy to the desktop, use the repaint handle and fill
the grayish background with transparent. I'll do this with the
screenshots to, but I recomend painting yourself to get exposed to
the tools and how they work together :-)

Karl