etoy space invader tutorial (alpha)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Nov 5 08:49:49 UTC 2001

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Bob Arning wrote:
> > The real killer timewise is [...] testing for the existence of a file.
>
> This should get better with some rewriting I'm doing right now in this
> area :-)

Great. Also, there is a bug on Unix in VM sandbox mode that prevents
Directory>>assurExistance from working correctly (making the plugin fail
on startup etc.) Actually it's not a bug but the SecurityManager prims are
not yet implemented, and my old hack is still in place. It's just *too*
secure ;-)

The actual problem is that
	FileDirectory default containingDirectory directoryNames
answers #() because that directory is outside the sandbox. An image-level
work-around would be to answer just the dirName that is known to be on the
path because it's on the default path. Heck, I'll hack that and send it to
the list *now* :-)

-- Bert