On GPL and "FREE"

Justin Walsh jwalsh at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 5 20:30:32 UTC 2001

{
1. The word "free" is so full of meanings in different languages,
countries, cultures and contexts
that it is more or less impossible to "agree" on a definition
}

Sorry! it is possible to agree upon a definition of freedon.
Getting (practically speaking) everybody to recognize and understand the meaning of the "definition" is the hard part.
It is masked into us at birth: it is "a priori" (prior to experience), intuition
Spinoza calls freedom the recognition of necessity, of law, of the relation between Cause and Effect
This thread is bogged down in the endless loop of the mere appearance of freedom.

One appearence is "as in free beer"
Another is "as in free speech"
yet another is "as in free thought"
and another is " as in freedom to confuse the above three appearances.

That is the reason some of us are trying to seperate out the various categories of  of the Idea of freedom into ( at this stage) THREE THREADS:

Freedom to             THINK   something
Freedom to             LOGI-cise on or about something
Freedom to             ACT upon something

For the comfort of all those Anarchist reading this who,  maybe think that I am speaking for a Cast System,  I am not. This  is just another technological approach.