[BUG] large files?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Nov 8 04:34:06 UTC 2001

>  > Also - did you/somebody deal with the file truncation issue?
>That seems to be in the sources for the VM ok.

Yes I added that! Only took me a year (yes it was on my todo list).

>Maybe we could also take an opportunity to do something that would allow
>sensible file copying (need to either have a primitive file copy or two
>prims to read/set the file's proerties/permissions etc - tricky to do
>nicely portably), plus more reasonable file exists testing (there are
>currently two really stupid ways of doing that in use) plus perhaps a
>prim to canonicalise filenames using any available platforn facility.
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>Earth is 98% full...please delete anyone you can.

Ok, the file copy I know about, However the canonicalise file name
needs more input, er information. What do you want?

Hint on the mac under OS-X carbon I go from HFS file names to POSIX
file names in the MacRoman char set. Mind I could go to unicode if we
want. But this is under the covers, that information isn't returned
to the user, but I need it for the BSD fopen. However nothing
prevents me from say returning the unicode value? Is that what you
want?