[BUG] large files?

Bill Shauck bill at shauck.com
Thu Nov 8 04:56:17 UTC 2001

From: "John M McIntosh" <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>

> >There should also probably be a query to FileDirectory for the
> >maximum size of a file supported by the platform in that particular
> >directory - *not* a global system attribute since some platforms can
support
> >different file systems with different maximums in the same directory
tree.
> Good point. All you need the OS calls. IE yes you can do > 2GB file
> calls on the mac, but that only works for HFS+ volumes not HFS. Thus
> I'd guess there has to be a syscall somewhere that tells me how big a
> file can get for a particular volume.
>
> Now if some nice Unix guru can let me know, that will save me some steps.

I won't claim to be a guru, and I am not speaking for all versions of un*x,
but RedHat
Linux supports statfs() & fstatfs() (cf. stat), derived from BSD 4.4. (So,
John, your
FreeBSD server should have a man page on it! Email me directly if not. Note
that the file
system structure may vary amongst un*xes.)

Bill