Is a person really free if they aren't free to enslave others ?

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 9 00:07:14 UTC 2001

On Thursday 08 November 2001 03:43 pm, you wrote:
> Andrew, I don't know anything from this subject, therfor some questions:
>
> 1. Is it correct that I first have to claim copyright before I can give it
> free?

	In the US, anything you create has a automatic copyright on it for you.
	You can thus do anything you wish with what you create.

> 2. Is it correct that my boss never can force me - even if I agree with him
> - to give him the complete rights of my products? (I only can give away the
> right to use/market it?)

	No, if you create something while working for a employer, in most cases it
is a 'work for hire' and the copyright becomes the employer's copyright. You
prettty much lose all rights to it.
	While some employers have you sign a contract stating the above, in the
courts, it's almost always assumed that anything you create while on company
time ( at your job ) and with company property ( computers they provide )
becomes property of the company.

> 3. Aren't there laws that forbid to violate copyright, so if I want to
> allow it i must explicit say: please change?... But doesn't question 2
> forbid that?

	Yes, the default standard for copyrights is "No copying without permission".
	So technically, you must grant premission for copying of copyrighted
material to take place.
	It is possible, through negligence, or if the court rules you've been
belligerent in using the copyright power illegally, to have your works placed
in the public domain. IE, you lose further rights to the work. But this is
rare.

> 4. Is it true that Aplle has a sleeping copyright for Squeak?
> 5. If so, what if someone in Seattle wants to buy it  for .Net?(every
> person has his price)

	Apple has a copyright on the code, but the Squeak License defines the limits
of the copyright. Apple has 'loosened' their rights, the Squeak License is
much more liberal than the default rights of the law.

	About someone BUYING squeak, that depends on what the license says.

	Daniel