A Squeak PDA

Editor - Squeak News editor at squeaknews.com
Fri Nov 9 03:07:35 UTC 2001

Hola!

> Having gained some real Squeak/Morphic experience this last summer, I
> think I'm ready to be serious about a Squeak PDA project.

Cool!

> Is there anyone else out there interested in getting some serious work
> done on this front?

Yup. I also know John Maloney did some serious stuff with PDAs and he
mentioned his experience in our interview.

> 2. A soft-keyboard morph
>
> 3. Revamp the window manager to produce something more appropriate to a
> PDA.  I think PicoGUI (http://picogui.org) is a great place to look for
> ideas.

There are/will be things may be of interest to you in the Oct-Nov-Dec
issues of Squeak News which will include a micro-gui (very basic), a soft
keyboard and a state machine based programming system. The overview of that
system can be found in the August issue
(http://www.squeaknews.com/download/index.html).

> 4. Write a datastore.  I'm talking about an oodb like the Newton's system
> of soups.  The advantages of a system like this is very evident to
> Smalltalkers, I would imagine, but can go into it if needed.

Can Leandro's SqueakAttic, or MinneStore be of any help here?

> 5. Get some sort of framework going geared towawrds writing apps for this
> PDA.

See above. I found a state machine based system to be quite simple and
powerful way of programming a PDA.

> 6. Pound out some PIM apps.

The only ones I had to do will have to stay unreleased because they were
commercial nature prototypes for other companies.

> I'm going to try and get started on this.  I started out with the aim of
> using PicoGUI and writing bindings for it to Lua.  But C gets to me, and I
> think that's pretty much abandoned.
>
> Any other ideas?

Squeak by itself is quite enough to do this (including some cool effects
such as animation and page flip (see Form transition examples, which some
are surprisingly fast on a fast PDA), and it would be more portable.

> Regards,
> Aaron

Cheers

Tansel