A Squeak PDA

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Nov 9 06:54:05 UTC 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Editor - Squeak News wrote:

> > 2. A soft-keyboard morph
> >
> > 3. Revamp the window manager to produce something more appropriate to a
> > PDA.  I think PicoGUI (http://picogui.org) is a great place to look for
> > ideas.
>
> There are/will be things may be of interest to you in the Oct-Nov-Dec
> issues of Squeak News which will include a micro-gui (very basic), a soft
> keyboard and a state machine based programming system. The overview of that
> system can be found in the August issue
> (http://www.squeaknews.com/download/index.html).

> > 4. Write a datastore.  I'm talking about an oodb like the Newton's system
> > of soups.  The advantages of a system like this is very evident to
> > Smalltalkers, I would imagine, but can go into it if needed.
>
> Can Leandro's SqueakAttic, or MinneStore be of any help here?

Never looked at SqueakAttic, but I'll do that.  MinneStore is great, but I
think another layer of abstraction above it is needed.  That is, a
"universal system service" to aid in synching and a truly easy to use
interface by apps.

> > 5. Get some sort of framework going geared towawrds writing apps for this
> > PDA.
>
> See above. I found a state machine based system to be quite simple and
> powerful way of programming a PDA.

Downloading the code as we speak!

> Squeak by itself is quite enough to do this (including some cool effects
> such as animation and page flip (see Form transition examples, which some
> are surprisingly fast on a fast PDA), and it would be more portable.

That's what I was thinking.  I mean, Squeak provides pretty much all I
need- and it's easy enough to interact with that I can write whatever I do
need! :)

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain