A Squeak PDA

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Fri Nov 9 13:58:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 05:30:09PM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > Possible platform: Compaq iPAQ H3150 (like the more common model, but
> > greyscale) running Linux and a Squeak/Linux FB VM.
> In almost all respects it simply doesn't matter what machine you use,
> except inasmuch as it restricts performance or functionality. Choosing
> linux on a StrongARM is good in almost all respects except that some
> dunderhead has broken the gcc optimiser completely and utterly and there
> appears to be no fix around. If anyone knows good gcc hackers, please
> lock them in a room until they fix this.

I'll second that call...it's a real pity this bug is still present in
GCC 3.0.

It seems that library dependancies are a lot worse on ARM as well..stuff
I compile on one machine seems to segfault on another machine with slightly
newer libraries (and vice-versa).

I hope the rising popularity of ARM in the PDA arena will inspire them
to fix these problems...

[snip]

> So far as possible, just grab the framebuffer or better yet just grab
> memory and set the video h/w to display the bits you want to be the
> display. Throw out as much as possible of the 'OS' - they're all junk.
> Consider building on the SqueakNOS project instead of wasting resources
> on linux - way too much excess baggage.
>
> tim

The tricky part about putting SqueakNOS on the iPaq is the bootloader..
if something goes wrong, you'll end up with a nice brick that can only
be fixed by a trip to Compaq.

Of course, if you have a nice JTAG flashing hardware setup in your basement,
this wouldn't be an issue. ;)