A Squeak PDA

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Nov 9 18:56:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Just screenshots. It just looks rather windowsy to me. The best PDA UI
> I've used so far is still the later Newton stuff. Very effective use of
> gestures, the screen edges etc. Well worth studying.

In my use of it, it's not been much like Windows other than that it's
WIMPish. I agree on the Newton thing, and that is my model.  I use an MP
2000u currently, and thus far I've seen nothing that compares.  I haven't
seen anything else with HWR so advanced that I could take all of my class
notes, like I do with my Newt.

That said, there are annoyances.  One, it's a dead end, unfortunately.
And having had a small case of te squiggles once, it means my Newt is
getting old.  I'd like to begin work now on something that could replace
part of its functionality in an open way that I can use in the vastly
literate way I use Squeak.

> Actually I suspect you'd find much of it already done and plenty of help
> being offered. The SqueakNOS gang is doing very well.

But it's not been done for the iPAQ.  I have no experience writing
bootloaders, creating a ramfs, or devising ways to use external libs and
binaries from POSIX-world.  As much as I'd like a pure Smalltalk or Common
Lisp machine, I have (self-imposed) limits in time and ability.

> >  Let alone drafting some way of using foreign C-libs.  So, unless
> > someone volunteers for this, I'll stick to Linux.  And no, I don't have
> > any funds to pay you to do this work, Tim. :)
> What? Well, go right out and get some, right this minute, young man. No
> excuses now; move along, move along. :->

Ok, ok.  I have a deal for you- I give you all of the cash I currently
have in my flat in exchange for 80 hours of work.  Deal?

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies." :: r. w. emerson