Creating squeak pluggable primitives - a few ideas, some confusion, lookingfor like minded folks

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Nov 10 08:34:13 UTC 2001

Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> If FFI will work for what you want to do, it could save you eons of time and
> effort compared to writing primitives in Slang. With FFI you can call C code
> directly.
>
> Anyone saying that Slang is easy has either written large parts of the
> Squeak VM code, or book chapters on Slang ;-)

The little stuff I did with Slang I thought of it as
Smalltalk without a class library, just some integer
stuff, so the only things allowed are bitshifts, and
simple math operations.

A reference on which method sends that are possible with
Slang would be cool. Maybe even a slang browser, so
stuff that won't translate/ compile in c is colored red
in the browser.

Karl