Creating squeak pluggable primitives - a few ideas, some confusion, lookingfor like minded folks

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Nov 10 17:23:38 UTC 2001

There's a chapter by Andrew Greenberg in the nublue book that covers
Slang very nicely.

Regarding a Slang browser, be aware that Slang will translate just about
anything -- it's just that the resulting C code might not compile.
Really, the freedom is a big reason to use Slang -- if you can write it
in C, you can write it in Slang.  If you cgan write it in Smalltalk,
there's little reason to bother.

Personally, I find it fairly easy to get the general outline of Slang
code correct, but I always run into a lot of segfaults while debugging
it.  I do things like fail to pop things from the stack, or pop things
in the wrong order, or I'll decode an object reference without checking
that it was actually an object, or I'll push an integer without encoding
it as an integer....  So many ways to bungle, most of which cause a
segmentation fault.

-Lex