GPL - freedom versus restriction

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun Nov 11 03:47:39 UTC 2001

On Saturday, November 10, 2001, at 12:14  PM, Daniel Joyce wrote:

> 	Also the GPL is quite simple.
>
> 	"If you choose to use the GPL:
> 	If you sell the program, you must give the customer the source code.
> 	You may not prevent your cstomers from modifying the source code or
> reselling it.
> 	The source code given to the customers must be under the GPL as well".

It's so simple, you can't use it with Squeak.

> 	Pretty simple rules I think, and I don't understand why everyone
> wants to
> shoot it down?

Nobody here is "shooting it down," we are rejecting its lionization as a
panacea for freedom, and further noting that its "pretty simple rules"
are too simplistic to make it useful for a Smalltalk image, which is the
subject of this listserv.

> 	I mean, it's JUST a licensing idea. No different than BSD, etc.

Very different from BSD.  I can use BSD software with Squeak, the
subject of this listserv.

> 	But when I release software, and I want people to play nice, I'll
> use the
> GPL. BSD, they could make a propietary version, and keep all the fun to
> themselves. And where is the fun in that.... ;)

And when you do, nobody here can use it with Squeak, the subject of this
listserv.  Where is the fun in that?

> 	"Yeah man, the GPL Sucks, now where did I put that GCC
> compiler/Linux/etc..."

Actually, we here instead opt to use Squeak, the subject of this
listserv.

> 	Strikes me as reminescent of the right wing nutters who rant about
> how the
> US govt is evil, and never does anything good, while using the highway
> system
> to drive to their militia meetings... ;)

More analogy wars.  This one just as offensive than prior comparisons of
Squeakers with slavers and mengele.

Many of us are quite proud of our contributions to Squeak, and think its
a good thing.  We don't use GPL with Squeak for one simple reason -- we
can't.  Not because we don't want to, but because RMS doesn't want us to
do so.

> 	Or like the kid who hogged all the trucks in the sandbox...

Do you really think that any of we Squeakers deserve that description?
Or the FreeBSD contributors?  Apache?  Perl?