Rolodex example: doMenuItem: 'search for text' not working

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 21:42:10 UTC 2001

Charles Hixson wrote:

> Actually, I tried several different choices for doMenuItem and
> many of then had results that were ... bizarre.
>
> I was trying to learn Squeak, and the Rolodex tutorial seemed an
> apopros place to start (because I would have a use for the
> result), so I began.
//snip//

> The blue eye opened the scripting window properly, and choosing
> the miscellaneous tag got me to the correct section of the
> scripts list.  But when I tried to specialize the domenuitem
> choice...
> If I pick 'search for text', then the choice simply disappears
> from the script.  If I look at the code, domenuitem: is
> attempting to execute a null string.  Typing it in by hand
> doesn't help.  This is the stranger as it worked the first time
> that I tried it (even though the command appeared blank in the
> graphic representation).
//snipped//

Sorry for being so slow to respond to this Charles: I've been away for a
long weekend.

At some point some changeset seems to have re-compiled substantial parts
of the etoys stuff: the result seems to be that a project started before
the changeset was applied (usually by the updates process) does some
really wierd stuff afterwards. This bit me hard at one point, and there
doesn't seem any way round it other than to bin the project, load the
updates, and start all over again. ;-(

Can you give this a go and let me know what happens?

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211