GPL Pro/Con Rantage

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Mon Nov 12 18:44:50 UTC 2001

On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 11:14  AM, Ed Heil wrote:

> I'm curious, though, would anything in the world keep you from
> distributing GPL'ed Squeak code in the form of a fileout?  Obviously
> fileout'ed code that couldn't be distributed in an image would be of
> limited usefulness, but it wouldn't be utterly useless.

"Limited usefulness" requires definition.  A software distribution that
turns an image into one that is non-distributable, even within a company
or between family members or computers is problematic.  According to
RMS, you would not be able to distribute even the fileOut with any
Squeak-L software, in fileOut form or otherwise.

> And would anything keep you from distributing LGPL'ed code as part of
> a Squeak image?

There, the difficulties arise only from the respective and somewhat
inconsistent restrictions of Squeak-L and LGPL.  I haven't actually had
to analyze this, because in each case I was asked to do so, we were able
to obtain, at least, a dual license from the software author.