Request: Summary of GPL Problems

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Tue Nov 13 02:12:34 UTC 2001

With all due respect, Goran, you need to seek advice of counsel upon
whom you can rely for the answers to these questions, in view of the
details of your particularly plan or proposal.  The following is not
intended as legal advice:

It will probably not surprise you to know that I wouldn't recommend
doing either.  The risks are simply not worth it.  Suffice it to say,
even if what you propose would not violate the intellectual property or
contracts of others, the results would likely be marginalized as too
risky to use or include with a public distribution.

On Monday, November 12, 2001, at 06:07  AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> Russell Allen asked about using GPL for a Squeak program and I would
> like to refine the question below.
>
> First, I actually agree (!) fully with Andrew regarding GPL and Squeak
> itself (I think). I can't see any real
> point in trying (which is impossible) to make Squeak itself GPLd - it
> would far more suit the community to try to move the Squeak license even
> more in the direction of BSD (as has been discussed).
>
> A few scenarios that I would like to find answers to though:
>
> 1. Can I "slang" a LGPLd library with Squeak? (I guess I can, right?)
> 2. Can I write a Squeak app and release the app as GPL if I don't
> distribute the GPL stuff in an image (see below)?
>
> Most of the discussion has been about bringing GPLd source into the base
> image - and this is not what Russel wants I guess. For example, can I
> write an app in Squeak and distribute it as GPLd source (changeset
> typically) together
> with a base image not containing the GPLd code (since that would break
> the GPL) and an ImageSegment with the code (that the image loads upon
> startup)? In essence we are mimicking how Java would load a jar-file
> (even though a jar-file only holds compiled classes and an ImageSegment
> can hold more than that).

RMS said, "no" regarding the co-distribution of changeset and naked
original.  We never consulted FSF concerning ImageSements.

I urge you to stop.