Request: Summary of GPL Problems

Dave Newman tinman at pobox.com
Tue Nov 13 21:32:20 UTC 2001

>RMS recognized early on that distributions of GPL with unrelated
>(non-derivative) non-GPL code, and their coexistence on a single
>system and ability to run on a non-GPL'd OS, was essential for
>workers in the real world.  The problem is that the exception
>presumes the traditional Unix-based OS/application dichotomy, which
>has no meaning in a monolithic image model (indeed, Squeak need not
>even run under an OS).

Apologies for the C++ technical talk here... but it provides another
example of problems one encounters with the LGPL.

Here at work we were pondering a similiar issue, but with regards to
a LGPL'd C++ library that has some templatized classes. The 'C' model
of the LGPL world doesn't apply to C++ templates, yet the LGPL's has
clauses about inline functions. Templates in C++ often are inlined,
and even if they are not, the code in the templates are emitted by
the compilers into non-library code, effectively behaving as if it
were inlined.

--Dave