Squeak Face-to-Face Gatherings (was Re: Squeak Pair Programming in the San Francisco Bay Area)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Nov 14 00:54:48 UTC 2001

Lawrence Press wrote:

> > Hi Stephan--
> >
> > > I'm a Squeak & Smalltalk newbie and enthusiast. I believe in social
> > > learning and I'd like to find people to do some pair programming with.
> > > I already have one pair programming partner,  but ideally, I'd like to
> > > have a network of multiple partners. ...
> > >
> > > Are there any Squeak gatherings in the Bay Area?
> >
> > Well, there's a Smalltalkers gathering at my place, near Palo Alto, on
> > the first Wednesday evening of each month. We'd love for you to join us.
> > Let me know if you'd like directions.
>
> I'd be interested, as well.

This reminds me that it'd be nice to see some regional gatherings of Squeakers happening more often.  It wouldn't have to be anything as formal as a Squeak-End*... just an occasional get-together of Squeak-interested folks to pair program together, chat about Squeak, etc., would be great.  Newbies and experts alike could be involved.

There was some effort about a year ago to get some groups formed, and these Swiki pages were created:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1288
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1302

It'd also be good see announcements on this list about when such informal gatherings might take place.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com

(*Of course, bigger Squeak-End gatherings are encouraged too... I assume the Squeak-End at Georgia Tech will still be happening next spring?)