Squeak text vs. Internet text (was Re: [BUG][FIX] accented characters in email)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 14 15:54:00 UTC 2001

At some point, we really need to decide which parts of Celeste use
Squeak encoding, and which parts use an Internet encoding.  Actually, my
thought is that we should only use Internet encoding during the
download, and thus that the message files and index entries should
already be Squeak-ified.  This is already the strategy for line-ending
conventions (CR vs. CRLF), so we may as well be consistent.

Admittedly this is a nuisance, since we all have MessageFile's that are
use Squeak line endings and Internet character sets.  But a utility
method could be added to switch over....

Best of all would be if the Squeak encoding *was* the Internet encoding,
and these problems go away, and text is just text again, without
multiple flavors.  Since we want to switch to a free font anyway, we may
as well switch to one using an Internet encoding.  In fact, it's
probably a lot easier to get free Internet fonts than free Mac fonts.

Didn't Stable Squeak find a free font they could use in Squeak?  I bet
it was for an Internet-ish character set....

-Lex

PS -- we also need to decide whether index files decode the subject,
etc., lines.  My thought, again, is that we may as well.  When would you
want to access a raw From or Subject as it was sent across the wire?