Help! Simple SOAP that runs now

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Wed Nov 14 17:44:33 UTC 2001

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "David N. Smith (IBM)" <dnsmith at watson.ibm.com>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 5:45 AM
Subject: Help! Simple SOAP that runs now

> Hi:
>
> I've been looking around for a simple implementation of SOAP that I can
use to access a SOAP server.

> On the SWICI there is one based on the Camp Smalltalk code which is
proclaimed not to work and which needs some large prereqs: "VW XML parser
and ComSwiki ". I'm not sure why the VW version of an XML parser is needed,
nor quite what ComSwici is since the page pointed to never mentions it. This
looks like a great work in progress, but not what I need today.

When I developed SoapOpera (0.1 and 0.2),  there was no stable XML parsers
in Squeak. So I had to use VW XMLparser,  which was the most complete
implementation at that time.
About ComSwiki,  SoapOpera uses it as a pluggable http server, so basically
the only Comanche part is needed. But for a simple installation, Swiki
Beta11 was specified as a prerequisite.

> Does anyone know of anything simpler that mainly works? About all I need
is to wrap up a method call and send it, then unwrap the answer.

I hope SoapOpera0.5 will be the answer. It is modularized so you can pick up
features you want.
Currently, the basic RPC mechanizm has already been implemented. You can
hack it to support http based message transportation.
And it will not need so many work.

Also, I'm planning to publish SoapOpera0.2b soon, which is a minor bug fix
and upgraded to adapt to current Comanche(beta4.9).

Best regards,
---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]