[OT] Re: GPL - freedom versus restriction

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 14 16:20:37 UTC 2001

> > GPL cannot work with a monolithic image, unless you were to dictate
> > that all Smalltalk code thereby developed was also GPL'd.  This is
> > why for Smalltalk, GPL cannot be considered free, or even practical.
>
> It is free and practical for those who want a GPL world. I am not one
> of them, so there is no need to try to make me change my mind. But I
> can understand RMS and friends. Imagine you write a neat program in
> VisualBasic and give it away for free. Your program won't run on its
> own, but needs the whole Win32 OS and a certain version of VBRUN.DLL,
> both of which are available under non free licenses. Depending on what
> Microsoft does in the future, having your sources might not be enough
> for people to be able to run your program. Only by having *everything*
> your program depends on also be free can you avoid this problem.

What you say is mostly true for binaries, but not really for source
code.  If you have the source code for that program, then you can port
it to a new system.  You'll never be completely hosed.  The source for
the program itself is enough to give you a safety net, but GPL insists
that you *also* have the source for various other semi-related pieces of
software.

-Lex