Bug tracking

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Wed Nov 14 18:44:38 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 11:49:05AM -0500, Lex Spoon wrote:

> > Are there any interesting approaches being adopted out there by the Squeak
> > community for tracking bugs?  I'm curious if there=B9s already something in
> > Squeak that I may have missed.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> No, it's been basically ignored.  Do you know of a good system we could
> use?
>
> I used to argue against it, but I've changed my mind.  In some ways,
> Squeak doesn't move all that fast, and it's easy to forget what bugs are
> outstanding....
>
> -Lex

A nice SWiki-based system would be great, but I do know of some
alternatives...

First, there's WREQ...http://www.math.duke.edu/~yu/wreq/
I've used this one quite a bit.  It has it's quirks, but it's free and
it gets the job done.

Also, there's the Ministry of Truth...http://mot.sourceforge.net/
I used this one years ago.  It had promise, but I didn't have much of
a chance to customise the thing.

Keystone (http://keystone.whitepj.net/) was really featureful when I tried
it, if a bit complex.  Not sure about the license though...it may be
commercial now.

And of course, there's Bugzilla...http://bugzilla.mozilla.org
This one is a beast to configure and get working...I ended up getting
frustrated with it and moved on to WREQ.

Ideally, for tracking bugs on an internet-based project like Squeak
an email and web interface would be ideal.  WREQ does this, as does Bugzilla.

(Back in my days at HP we used a nice system called xddts...I haven't
seen a system as utile as that since.)