VW XML Parser was: Re: Help! Simple SOAP that runs now

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Nov 14 23:36:12 UTC 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Roger Whitney wrote:

> Yes the open source one has lagged behind.

No criticism! I could work on it and I haven't :)

> My involvement in working with
> porting the parser has waned due to:
>
> 1. lack of feedback on people using the parsr
>
> 2. Difficulty of maintaining multiple versions of the parser in different
> dialects.
>
> 3. Lack of time

With you on all of those :)

> The more I hear about people using the paser the more motivation I have for
> dealing with 2 & 3. So if you are using the VWXML parser let me know.

I'm not and I ported the sucker to Squeak. But I've not done any XML stuff
in Squeak in a very long time. I might do some RDF stuff, in which case
I'd definitely use it.

I tried to get people interested in turning the actual VisualWorks one
into a standalone XSLT processer (and the Steve the Cincom guy did work on
it! Chunked out a huge bit of XPath. He's a great guy), and there was
little or no interest and I got swamped.

The other problem is that the sources never got, afaik, packaged up as a
in namespace purged, squeak friendly format. I'm not VisualWorks jock
enough to deal with all that.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.