Learning to play with images, videos, ...

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Thu Nov 15 12:56:47 UTC 2001

Hi Leo --

At 3:23 PM -0500 11/14/01, Leo Burd wrote:
>Hello everyone!
>
>I'm new to the Squeak environment and I need some assistance in a project that
>I'm trying to implement.  The goal is to display a couple of videos, still
>images, and maybe text lines rotating and changing size on the screen.  I
>suspect it is not too hard to implement this sort of thing.  However, after a
>good time playing with eToys, I couldn't figure out how to proceed.  Would
>anybody volunteer to help?
>
>Here are my questions:
>
>* How to change the frequency of the clock ticks?  I'd like to minize the
>flickering in the image movement

Press down on the clock in the script and hold. A popup will appear
that has various clock frequencies to choose.

>* Is it possible to make images transparent?  I'd like to see a combination of
>them whenever they overlap...

Most morphs have a handle on the lower right side that will bring up
a property sheet that has various colorization properties. If the
morph is a sketchmorph (painted or a picture) then you can repaint it
(initiate by clicking on the repaint handle on the middle right
side). One of the colors in the paint palette is "no color" which is
transparent.

>* How can I change the shape an image is displayed?  For instance, I'd like to
>display a picture as an elipsis or as a triangle

There are several tile lines in the the viewer that can do this. The
players in the etoy system are all wearing costumes so they are
easily changed. Look in the category list in the viewer and find
"graphic", or look in the "miscellaneous" category to find the tile
line "foo look like dot"

>* What would I have to do if I had a video instead of an image in the
>questions above?

The MPEG player has menus for frame rates. But it is also an Etoy
Player so it is scripted the same way any etoy is scripted.

>* Is this list the right place to ask questions like these?  Where else would
>I find anwers for them?

This is fine. There is a "squeakland" list that is especially for
etoys, and this might be even better.

>Thank you very much,

Cheers,

Alan