[ENH] MSWinEditingKeyCmds-dew

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 16 05:48:10 UTC 2001

Mark Mullin wrote:

>         5) and last and least ====  for those using squeak on mswindows,
>            is there an easy way to remap the ALT and CTL keys so I'm not
>            constantly ALT copying in word and control copying in squeak.

Here's a changeset which should help.  This adds a preference which swaps the common text editing keys to the Ctrl key. (cut, copy, paste, etc.)

This should be less invasive than some of the other proposed ways of dealing with this, such as a complete Ctrl-Alt swap, or a VM change... this only swaps a handful of keys, and only when the preference is enabled.

(It took me awhile to figure out why ctrl-c wasn't working at first... it turns out it's the same key mapping as the enter key, which was a special case "accept".  But that's taken care of now. :) )

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com

>From the preamble:

'From Squeak3.2alpha of 4 October 2001 [latest update: #4518] on 16 November 2001 at 12:22:04 am'!
"Change Set:		MSWinEditingKeyCmds-dew
Date:			15 November 2001
Author:			Doug Way

Adds a preference which, when turned on, swaps several text-editing key bindings over to the ctrl key, similar to MS-Windows conventions.  This includes cut (ctrl-x), copy (ctrl-c), paste (ctrl-v), undo (ctrl-z), save (ctrl-s), find (ctrl-f), find again (ctrl-g), and select all (ctrl-a).  The key commands which previously used these bindings are swapped back to the alt key."