Squeak and Windows TTF fonts

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 19:44:05 UTC 2001

Benoit St-Jean wrote:

> I am trying to import fonts in Squeak to customize my
> environment and am getting a walkback.  I am running
> on Win 2000 and I'm trying to import standard windows
> TTF fonts with the following piece of code.
>
> TTFontReader installTTF:
> 'c:\Prog\Squeak3.0\MyFonts\arial.ttf'
>                 asTextStyle: #Arial
>                 sizes: #(9 10 12 14)
>

> Am I doing something wrong?  Is that the way to import
> fonts so they appear in "Appearance>>System
> Fonts>>List fonts"  menu ?

I don't think so.

Andreas Raab wrote a nice utility for incorporating TrueType fonts into
Squeak (you'll need access to a Win 32 box to use it) and Bernhard
Pieber wrote a neat fix for a small bug in it.  You'll find them on the
list as:

[ENH][Win32]RE: Font Support   and

[BUG][FIX]FontPlugin glyphs for CRs (was: Re: accented font support in
Squeak)

Andreas' code is well commented (you might want to alter the source to
give you fonts the size you require). Note that if your Squeak is
running on a Windows box, you should re-name Andreas .dll _after_ you've
grabbed the fonts or the spacing will be all squiffy if you use italics.

After this, someone wrote a bug fix for the method, but I can't find it
right now.

HTH

Cheers

John
--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211