CrLfFileStream

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sun Nov 18 21:27:02 UTC 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Lex Spoon wrote:

[snip]

> You mean there are people who *don't* use CrLfFileStream?  :)

[snip]

I see the smiley but I shall add: Yes!

First: it's not installed by default, last I checked, nor is there a
preference.

Second: it breaks some things that check for specific line ending types in
certain circumstances (ComSwiki was the last offender I remember).

Third: the awkwardly positioned and implemented "remove line feeds" in the
FileList help with several of the common tough cases. However, I'd love to
have a pop up more like BBEdits that lets you convert the file to the
format you prefer and to *view* each of those formats as "normal".

There really are a variety of different use cases for dealing with line
endings. It strikes me that *neither* StandardFileStream nor
CrLfFileStream handle that variety with aplomb.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.