Preferences saving...

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Mon Nov 19 07:29:24 UTC 2001

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> class>fetchExternalsettingsIn: and SecurityManager. I imagine that Jim
> or Simon could make use of it to produce a very acceptable preference
> carrying-around package.

All you need to do is to register an object/class as a client with the
External settings and implement the two calls fetchExternalSettingsIn:
and releaseExternalSettings in the client.
It is completely up to the client how to store and read settings. There
is no predefined file format. Yet... ;-)

> It might be nice if the ExternalSettings class>startUp didn't result in
> the _creation_ of a prefs directory 'by accident'. It has problems if
> you are trying to run a closed system with read-only permissions
> wherever possible!

There is a fix for/against that in the making!

But first I have to get my body temperature back to normal after
watching the meteors last night in freezing temperatures ;-)

Michael