file primitive test suite

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 19 23:04:01 UTC 2001

>  > Yes, you can delete an open file on a Unix system. The file is not
>>  really deleted, but its name is removed from a directory. When
>>  all open references to the file go away, then the file is really
>>  deleted. This is analogous to an object which does not get garbage
>>  collected until all references to the object are gone.
>
>And it is common practice to do this when creating temporary files
>on Unix.  If your application crashes (or is killed), you don't leave
>breadcrumbs on the floor.
>
>-david

Thank I kinda knew that was the case, since evil things like rm -rf / exist.

2nd any windows users (and linux) folks run the tests? Would be nice
to know if they did work on those platforms?

Bigger question do we want to 'fix' delete to forbid delete if the
file is open to preserve how things work in squeak across platform.
Or perhaps we close the file if it is open, then delete it. Thoughts
anyone?

The purpose of doing these primitive test suites is to catch platform
dependent behavior, then the questions is how to fix, or if we should
fix to preserve the same behavior across systems.