[NIT] Pretty pretting #ifFalse:ifTrue:

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Nov 20 14:19:07 UTC 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> On Monday, November 19, 2001, at 12:46  PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
> > Hmm. The debugger must do *something*
> > along these lines, in order to highlight the currently executed code,
> > but I'm not sure how that works.
>
> Start by checking out
>
> 	Debugger>>pcRange
>
> which reparses the object code, maintaining a table of correspondence
> index ranges, and returns the index range corresponding to the pc.

Last time I checked (I wanted to port my ancient syntax highlighter from
VW http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/SyntaxHighlighting.html) the range
was not preserved for all constructs but only for message sends. Which
makes sense for the debugger, but is not sufficient for coloring.

I don't use pretty printing because I like manual formatting better, but
syntax coloring really is useful for reading code. For example, my
highlighter distinguished between temps, arguments, and instance
variables. Of course, highlighting *while you type* is even cooler :-)

-- Bert