[BUG] Squeak Alice not reading MDL files

Jeff Pierce jpierce at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 20 16:32:30 UTC 2001

At 04:56 PM 11/20/01, Andreas Raab wrote:
>Hi Leo,
>
>> We've been trying to use Squeak Alice here at the Computer Clubhouse
>> (http://www.computerclubhouse.org/) and also found a couple
>> of problems... Apparently, at least in Squeak 3.1b, the
>> 'roll' command is not working.  We've tried all the possibilities
>> listed in the quick reference manual and nothing
>> happened.  Squeak does not recognize parameters such as 'up',
>> 'down', etc. ...
>
>It seems like directions such as 'up' and 'down' are not recognized. I tried
>it with 'left' and 'right' and this does work.

'Roll' is a special case that we added to Alice primarily because we lacked
good words for describing that motion as a 'turn'.  Users easily picked up
'turn: left/right' and turn: 'up/down', but no one liked 'turn: clockwise /
counterclockwise' or any of the other variations we tried.  We finally
settled on 'roll: left/right' to control this motion, but we didn't
associate any other directions with 'roll' (we already had 'turn' to cover
the other directions).

Jeff