[NIT] Pretty pretting #ifFalse:ifTrue:

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Nov 20 23:00:30 UTC 2001

	> The general understanding of pretty-printing is that it should
	> confine itself to adding and removing layout characters (space, tab,
	> line break) and colouring.

	I have no idea what is the "general understanding of pretty printing,"
	so thus I shall defer.

I mean, of course, the literature on pretty-printing, going back as far as
the NPL pretty-printer and as current as the pretty-printing combinator
libraries for various functional languages.  Grind, Blaise, Indent, PasMat,
... there's a lot of it about.  Think Pascal was loved (and equally hated)
for pretty-printing on the fly in the IDE.

The other thing, where you take a parse tree and generate source code from
it, is conventionally called "unparsing" or sometimes "generation".

	I never found use for a pretty printer, except perhaps to
	facilitate the reading of large hunks of awfully written code.

Exactly so.  There's a lot of it about.

	To that end, any
	decent-looking semantically equivalent code sufficed.  Since even the
	worst of Smalltalk code is usually much smaller and more comprehensible,
	the pretty-printing tool seems particularly pointless in Squeak even as
	a general editor.

Even Smalltalk has parentheses and brackets.  Pretty-printing can be a
useful check that you have them in the right place.  I have used it for
that purpose fairly often; the most important feature is the ability to
revert to the code the really beautiful (:-) way I had it before.