[ENH][VM] Interpreter>>getThisSession or why not UUID

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Nov 21 02:41:01 UTC 2001

>John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> is widely believed
>to have written:
>

>>  Mmm why not just use the UUID logic UUIDPlugin_primitiveMakeUUID that
>>  will make a *fairly* unique id for us.
>Perhaps because there doesn't seem to have been any occasion when the
>existence of the plugin was announced? :-)
>
>Likewise the InternetConfigPlugin...
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>"How many Motie Warriors does it take to change a lightbulb?" "None. One of
>the dead ones will do it."

Well maybe that's because I've not shoved the VM out the door yet. ok
lets see if I can make that a 'real' task this week.

For the curious what is pending is

a) The ability to get back a UUID. This uses C code to generate the
UUID for mac and windows. However I'm looking at some doing some
Smalltalk code. Mind the lack of simple things like getting the
current UTC time is a hassle. Anyone have timezone for Squeak code.

b) Ability to start squeak on the mac by dragging multiple documents
onto the image, or drag and drop of stuff onto the running VM icon.

c) Usage of the Internet Configuration tool kit to supply information
about what the mac proxy is etc. etc.

d) Migrate file system to use 64 bits. This allows you to read/write
and seek with files > 2 GB. This includes a change to the VM to
convert from/to long long integers. It also allows the file system to
actually deal with 2GB files, the current file interface actually
fails once the file exceeds 1GB.

e) For the carbon based Squeak VM we now support long file names 255
characters. Close both eyes and touch everywhere the mac VM deals
with file name paths and hope for the best (Actually we write an
Sunit to ensure we've not broken everything).

f) Support to change the Mac screen resolution under Squeak control.

g) Fix to unload/load the scrap at startup time to ensure the
clipboard is correct when starting up the VM.

h) Uncouple the shift key and left/right shift keys on old extended
keyboard. Also add a call to get which keys are currently pressed on
a USB keyboard or the USB codes for an apple non-usb keyboard

i) Changes to enable us to compile the VM under Apple's OS-X Project
Builder environments.

j) Some rewriting to ensure serial and midi support can be written as
external plugins.