Squeak-dev down?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Nov 23 07:01:19 UTC 2001

h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk said:
> Nothing 's come in since 5am today (22nd). I posted something myself
> since then!

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Here's "another system management horror story
fit for a comp.risks posting":

- Tuesday, I rebooted the machine. This was the second time since March that I
had to reboot it - which makes it an untested manouver.
- The machine makes a daily full backup of its data on a second drive, mounted
on /mnt. However, this mount was not in fstab which means that after the
reboot, /mnt was just a directory on the root (and sole) partition.
- Wednesday, the backup program (rsync) dumped ~10Gb on what it thought was
the backup drive, but actually was the root partition. So we now had 20Gb on a
35Gb partition.
- Thursday, you guessed it, the backup program tried to backup the whole
partition, thus filling it.
- Thursday, the flue got me so I was in bed, deep asleep.
- Of course, with my Nokia Communicator at my side - you never know what may
happen - but that's a piece of extremely crappy hardware, and as happens
regularly, it decided to switch itself off so that the SMS pages warning me
about the full drive never got to me. Hint: if you think you need one of these
brand new 9210 Communicators: think twice.
Anyway, I've cleaned the disk, mounted the second drive (and put that in fstab
:-)), so everything should be going again.

We're swapping drives under warrantee (IBM acknowledged that they sent us some
27 not-so-good disks, and we are replacing them these weeks) so I still need
to do a reboot on the box, probably this Sunday. Hopefully that one will go
better than this week...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>