[ENH] ??? MD5 in Squeak.

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 06:27:52 UTC 2001

> Squeak has DSA in the image.  I dunno why DSA was chosen over MD5 -- if
> the uses of DSA can transfer over, still, then it would be nice to
> switch.

There was no choice made - DSA/SHA was in the image long before I wrote the
MD5 stuff.  The former were written by SqC people apparently to support
signing of code for security reasons.  I did the latter because it was a
straightforward extension of the existing SHA code (which is why it is so
similar), and because exobox potentially needed it for various miscellaneous
Internet protocols.  Plus it's a handy thing to have around.

One reason I believe it has not made it into the image is that a request was
made by SqC a few months back to try and refactor SHA and MD5 functionality
to take advantage of their similarities, but neither I nor anyone else found
the time to do so.  I agree that it should probably be part of the image.

I also think that we should choose one of the extant XML parsers as well and
have a known base from which to develop XML-based stuff (SOAP/XML-RPC, RSS,
whatever).  I will not be suicidal if the choice is not the one I wrote,
though I would be willing to expend the necessary effort to address any
weaknesses and/or extend it to fit the needs of the Squeak community.