XML Parser choice (was Re: [ENH] ??? MD5 in Squeak.)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Nov 27 17:21:18 UTC 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Andreas Raab wrote:

> > >From an outsider's perspective, this seems like a really strange
> > strategy.  Code size isn't a terribly big deal -- the thing the Squeak
> > community is most constrained by is programmer time.
>
> Code size isn't but complexity is. Usually these two go hand in hand and
> therefore it's no strange argument at all. In fact I'd argue that programmer
> time is (in this particular case) mostly dictated by the complexity involved
> in the parser itself - most people will want to do pretty simple stuff.

I totally agree.  When I evaluated the available XML parsers out there
this summer (for a "real" project), I went with Duane's package because it
was very simple and straight foward to use, but had the features I needed.
I think that such a mindset would be a good idea for whomever chooses
which XML parser goes into the image.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain