Weather maps?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Wed Nov 28 01:16:59 UTC 2001

Erk...yes, I've had this sort of thing running for quite a while.

It's really quite easy - just look at the HTML source of the pages with the
images you like, then make a subclass of ImageMorph that polls that address
on a regular basis to load the latest image.  In your variant, you'd hold
onto the last 6 images and cycle them.

At the risk of mentioning exobox yet again, we did similar stuff with news,
weather, sports, stocks etc. by using the old Pointcast (later EntryPoint,
now Infogate) feeds.  Most of these systems delivered their data in XML (!!)
and creating a viewer for top headlines, photo of the day, etc was usually
quite simple.

Of course, cherry picking content without ads from some of these sites might
bother them.

Other cool web-data-driven toys could include "where's the International
Space Station right now" or "where are the latest earthquakes happening".
At exobox we also talked about expanding on the fast sphere rendering code I
posted a while back to act as a directory for webcams and other geographic
kinds of stuff.

-- Duane