Movie-JPEG

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Nov 28 05:36:37 UTC 2001

John Maloney writes:

> We're also thinking about how kids and teachers could import movies from
> a digital video camera. It looks like it's reasonably easy with a
> firewire-equipped Mac and iMovie. You'd also need to buy Quicktime Pro,
> which gives you the ability to export a movie in a variety of formats, some
> of which could be read from
> Squeak. One of these formats is simply to export a collection of
> individual frames in PNG, JPEG, BMP, or various other formats. It's
> trivial to write a converter that
> builds a movie from a collection of frames.

I don't imagine this'll build on the mac, but
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dv2jpg/ will convert directly from DV
files into MJPEG - so if MJPEG support is indeed added this might be a
useful addition.  More links are at http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net.

Out of curiosity - framerates have been mentioned, but not resolutions.
How large a file can the JPEG plugin decode in 1/30 s?