XML Parser choice (was Re: [ENH] ??? MD5 in Squeak.)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Nov 29 00:05:58 UTC 2001

"Andreas Raab" <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> wrote:
	Code size isn't but complexity is. Usually these two go hand in hand and
	therefore it's no strange argument at all. In fact I'd argue that programmer
	time is (in this particular case) mostly dictated by the complexity involved
	in the parser itself - most people will want to do pretty simple stuff.

But this is precisely why a non-validating parser would be a *bad* idea.
Non-validating parsers are easy to write.  But if anyone were to try to
process DocBook using Squeak (hey, guess what I'm trying to learn?) such
a parser would be as much use as an Apple ][ simulator (maybe less, come
to think of it).

If you really want to avoid complexity for people trying to use XML in
Squeak, then choose a parser than implements *ALL* of XML, not just the
dead easy bits.  Do the hard stuff *once*.