Weather maps?

Luciano Notarfrancesco lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 17:43:15 UTC 2001

Some time ago started building geographical objects in
Squeak. I got volcanos and cities (loaded from a local
text file), and some online maps (US LandSat,
EarthView, and the Xerox PARC map). I also can show
earthqakes in real-time.

Here are the urls I'm getting the maps from

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Earth
http://wmt.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wmt.cgi
http://pubweb.parc.xerox.com/map

The second one, wmt.jpl.nasa.gov uses a new standard,
the Web Mapping Testbed. It's been a long time since
the last time I checked, but I'm sure there are many
more online maps in that format now.

I'll clean the code a little and release it soon if
there's interest on it.

Peace,
Luciano.-

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Folks -
>
> We now have access to network spelling correction
and translation in Squeak.  Something else I like to
see sometimes is an animation of the last 6 weather
satellite images of my area at 1/2-hour intervals.
Weather.com provides this nicely, but it would be even
nicer to have it in Squeak, and separate from all the
ads and inaccurate forecasts.  Plus it galls me that
they don't cache the background image of the ground (I
think) -- it should be able to ship the precipitation
overlays in just a couple of seconds, but it seems to
take quite a long time.